Sunday, September 2, 2007

Coconut Curry Chicken


I know, I know..... I have been drawing this whole Indian food thing out, but I am traveling, so there is no cooking going on right now! I am so lonely without my kitchen, kitty, and friends. I will be back home on Sunday the 10th and plan to cook up a storm all week. I hope you are not getting too bored with these recipes.Speaking of Indian food, I went to an Indian restaurant here in Cincinnati and ordered the Lamb Saag, to compare it to mine. It was very similar in taste, a little thicker sauce than mine, but overall almost identical. Their Naan Bread was horrible though, it was like a thick tortilla fried in grease, not a huge win. Tonight I am going to a restaurant called Trio, I have heard great things about it and can't wait to see what they have to offer! I am so bummed I forgot my camera, so I can't send any pictures of the midwest.
Coconut Curry Chicken

1 Tablespoon Ground Almonds
1 Tablespoon desiccated coconut
1 ½ cups coconut milk
1 ½ Teaspoon ground coriander
1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon Crushed Garlic
1 ½ Teaspoons Grated Ginger
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
2 Pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cubed
3 Green Cardamom Pods
1 Bay Leaf
1 Dried Red Chili, crushed
2 Tablespoons Fresh Cilantro

Dry roast the almonds and coconut in a wok, until they turn a shade darker. Transfer the mixture to a large glass bowl. Add the coconut milk, ground coriander, chili powder, garlic, ginger and salt to the bowl. Mix together well.

Heat the vegetable oil in the pan and add the chicken cubes, cardamom pods and bay leaf. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes to seal the chicken.

Pour in the coconut mixture and stir well. Lower the heat, add the chili and coriander, then cover and cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the contests from sticking to the pan. Uncover the pan, then stir and cook for 2 minutes more, or until chicken is fully cooked.

No comments: