Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Roasted Red Pepper and Potato Frittata



My friend Therese just had her birthday this last weekend and it was a total blast! The theme was Spanish Tapas, and the food…simply delicious! There were about 50 people at her party, so I was asked to make some larger quantity dishes since not a lot of our friends are foodies like me. I made a delicious roasted red pepper and potato frittata, stuffed mushrooms, and roasted red potatoes with aioli.
I took pictures of my frittata, but totally forgot to take pictures of the mushrooms and potatoes, so I will have to post those two recipes when I make them again. I made four 12 inch frittata’s which I divided into 16 pieces, so it was a good easy thing to make for a large crowd. The recipe below is for one.

Roasted Red Pepper and Potato Frittata

1 pound bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces
2 teaspoons oil
1 large yellow or sweet onion, cut into thin slices
2 large russet potatoes peeled and sliced very thin (I drug out my mandolin for this)
¼ cup butter
1 jar roasted red pepper (in water), cut into ¼ inch strips
3 cups grated jack cheese
12 eggs
½ cups half&half
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In 12 inch frying pan cook bacon until crisp, remove and drain fat from pan. Add oil and onions and sauté over medium heat until caramelized, about 10 minutes, remove from pan and set aside. Next add butter and potatoes and cook stirring occasionally until potatoes are lightly golden and tender, about 10 minutes, remove from pan and set aside.
In large bowl add eggs, half&half, salt and pepper and beat until well combined. Ladle a small amount of egg mixture to cover bottom of frying pan, layer with ½ each; bacon, onions, potatoes, roasted red peppers, and cheese, repeat with remaining ingredients. Pour egg mixture over layers to cover. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes to one hour or until puffed and golden brown on the top, let rest for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Can be served hot, cold, or at room temperature.

No comments: