Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Chicken Marsala

I think the hardest question to answer (and I get this question a lot) is "what's your favorite thing to make?" Well, I don't really have a favorite thing to make, as I love being in the kitchen making anything, but chicken marsala would definitely be one of my top 5 favorite things to eat! I have been making chicken marsala for years, and I don't think I will ever get tired of it. I learned how to make this dish way back when I had my first job as a dishwasher at an Italian restaurant in Yakima, Washington when I was 15. I know I was the dishwasher, but I was also very good at putting my nose in the kitchen and learning lots and lots of valuable cooking tips. To this day, I think that was the best job I ever had because I learned how to make numerous recipes and desserts. The owner Diane was very sweet, and was always willing to let me ask questions and show me how to make her delicious recipes, and I will always be greatful for that.

Chicken Marsala

4 Boneless Skineless Chicken Breasts
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
3 Green Onions, finely chopped
1 Pound Crimini Mushrooms, sliced into 1/4 inch thick pieces
12 Ounces Marsala Wine (I just buy the 12 ounce bottle of marsala cooking wine which is kept by the vinegars in the grocery store)
1 1/2 Cups Chicken Broth
Oil (for frying the chicken)
Flour
Salt & Pepper

Place a large heavy bottomed frying pan (do not use non-stick) over medium high heat and add the butter, garlic, green onion, and mushrooms, saute until mushrooms are just barely soft-Remove from pan.
Next, place about 2 cups flour in a paper or plastic bag along with a tablespoon salt and pepper and shake to combine. Dredge the chicken breasts in the flour to coat. Heat 1/4 inch oil in your frying pan over medium-high heat and add chicken. Cook chicken until golden brown and fully cooked, about 12 -15 minutes total. Remove chicken from the pan and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Drain any remaining oil from the pan and place back on the stove over high heat. Deglaze the pan with the marsala wine-IT MAY IGNITE-please be careful! Scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan and let the alcohol burn off. Now add 3 tablespoons of the flour mixture to the chicken broth and whisk together then add to the pan. Using a whisk stir constantly until marsala sauce comes to a boil and starts to thicken-just a couple minutes. Add mushrooms back into the pan and season sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
To serve place the chicken on a plate and spoon a generous amount of mushrooms and sauce over the top, enjoy!

4 comments:

Pam said...

Jason,

First - the chicken marsala looks great! I really need to make it.

Second - I got the cookbook and have ear marked so many recipes...thank you, thank you, thank you.

Third - I forgot to mention you as an inspiration for my Greek style smorgasbord recipe (posted today) - I'll go fix it now.

Anonymous said...

Jason,

I have looked through several of your recipes and I like what you make. Your friends are lucky to have such a good cook around. I will be making your marsala chicken soon.

Marie

Mangerati said...

Jason,

Excellent recipe. I have published over 30 Marsala recipes. I hope you'll have the chance to take a look. Some of them are not that great, but some are a real delight to make and eat!

Jan said...

Chicken Marsala is one of my favorite Italian recipes too. Again, I've never made it, but that will soon be remedied. Thanks for the recipe, Jason.