Thursday, February 12, 2009

Brownies

I’ve never been one to have much of a sweet tooth but, this last week I just haven’t been able to get enough sugar. Then to top it off, the Food Network was broadcasting shows this morning all featuring chocolate. I went to work thinking about chocolate and had to fire up the oven and make a batch of brownies as soon as I got home. This is a recipe I have had for years, and have really enjoyed it every time I make it. I usually do a brownie mix, because it’s so quick and easy, but tonight I thought it would be so much better to have the ultimate, chocolaty, moist, dense, delicious brownie that you can only get from scratch. I’m not a fan of chocolate chips or nuts in my brownies, but if that something you like, please feel free to throw them in!

Brownies

2 ½ Sticks Butter (18 Tablespoons, cut into small pieces)
12 Ounces Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (buy the best ones you can find)
1 ¼ Cups Flour
3 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
½ Teaspoon Salt
4 Eggs
2 1/3 Cups Sugar
1 ½ Teaspoons Vanilla

In a double boiler, add the butter and chocolate chips, stir occasionally until melted, remove bowl from the heat and set aside to cool.

In a small bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt, set aside. Place the eggs into your mixer bowl and beat until blended, about 1 minute. Add the sugar and continue to beat on medium speed until light yellow and well combined. Next add the vanilla and blend until just combined. Remove the bowl from you mixer and fold in the chocolate mixture until blended. Next add the dry ingredients to the batter in three additions, gently folding each addition with a spatula.

Pour the batter into a 9x13 inch baking dish that has been lined with parchment paper. Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out with a few moist crumbs. Let cool on a wire rack before removing from pan or cutting into squares.

3 comments:

Pam said...

How I would LOVE one of these right now with an ice cold glass of milk. Delicious Jason.

Jan said...

I used to love sweet stuff when I was younger, but seldom eat it now. That said, I wouldn't say no to one of those brownies, they look scrummy.

Anonymous said...

I've never met a brownie I didn't love. I'm generally not a nut person, but every now and then, a brownie with walnuts hits the spot.