Saturday, August 9, 2008

Rum Balls




I was asked to make rum balls for one of my friends “Alice In Wonderland” themed scavenger hunt. They are so simple to make, and quite delicious. I was looking up recipes on line and was a little hesitant to use a recipe that calls for ground up vanilla wafer cookies, but all the recipes seemed to have this as a theme ingredient. We left some out on a plate and wrapped some up in tissue. When you first taste them you just get a hit of the powdered sugar and chocolate, then at the end you can really taste the rum, quite a unique cookie!

Rum Balls

1 ½ Cups Pecans, finely chopped
1 ¼ Cups Vanilla Wafer Cookies, finely crushed
½ Cup Powdered Sugar, plus additional for coating
2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
2 Tablespoons Light Corn Syrup
¼ Cup Dark Rum

Mix all dry ingredients, then add corn syrup and rum, mix thoroughly. Shape into 1 inch balls, and roll around in sifted powdered sugar to coat. Store in the refrigerator, can be made several days in advance.

4 comments:

Paula said...

Oh boy, oh boy, you and I are going to get along just fine! I LOVE rum balls. Man, I want to reach through the computer screen and nab one of these! Well, perhaps two of them. Make that a handful! YUM! Sounds like you attended a fun event, too. Thanks for visiting my blog.

Manggy said...

Ah, I remember that detail in the story-- she ate the thing that said "Eat Me" and weird things started happening to her, right? I think those may have achieved the same effect in real life, ha ha!

* Well, specifically, she supposedly grew and shrank, but I can't make a joke out of that.

Looks great, Jason! I'll be at the kiddie table, heh :)

Pam said...

They look and sound so good. I can't believe I have never had rum balls before. What a great party theme - I love Alice in Wonderland.

April said...

Try making them with bourbon sometime. You won't be disappointed!