Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Fried Green Tomatoes



My tomatoes in the garden are almost ready, I wish I could magically ripen them. In the meantime I decided to make use of the green tomatoes and fry them up for an appetizer. They turned out really nice and crispy and perfectly cooked on the inside. The only thing to keep in mind is to not cut your slices too thick, or the sourness of the tomatoes will overpower the breading.

Fried Green Tomatoes

6 Green Tomatoes
1 ½ Cups Flour, plus ½ cup
½ Cup Cornmeal
1 Teaspoon Salt & Pepper
Buttermilk
Oil, for frying
Kosher Salt

Slice the tomatoes into medium slices. Mix the 1 ½ cups flour, cornmeal ,and salt & pepper together in a large bowl. Add enough buttermilk to the flour mixture to make a thick batter (you want the consistency of a pancake batter) about 3 cups.
Dredge the tomato slices in the flour and shake off any extra then coat with the batter. Fry in ¼ inch of oil over medium high heat for a few minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain and sprinkle with a little kosher salt. Serve hot.

3 comments:

Pam said...

You are killing me. Chicken fried steak, corn chowder and now fried tomatoes? Can I come eat at your house? These are some of my favorite recipes. I love dipping the fried tomato in fresh blue cheese dressing - it's divine!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Now I know that summer is winding down -- fried green tomatoes are something I always associate with late summer, "get the tomatoes off the vine before frost", and of course with travels through the South. Yum.

Big Boys Oven said...

this friesd dish lloks delicious especially you got buttermilk there! :)