Friday, February 22, 2008

Ginger Chicken


It was about five years ago that I first had this dish, I was in New York visiting my friend Nick and we went to Planet Thai, which is in Williamsburg Brooklyn. I thought the ginger chicken sounded good so I ordered it and immediately fell in love. When I got home I was on a mission to make this dish just like the restaurant and after many recipes, and lots of messing around with ingredients this is what I came up with. I need to make this dish more often because it is really healthy and super quick to prepare. I like to serve this with jasmine rice, but it’s good with any type of rice so just make whatever you have on hand.

Ginger Chicken

3 Tablespoons Oil
4 Cloves Garlic, minced
3 Chicken Breasts, cut into thin strips
1 Pound Mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
1 Large Onion, cut into thin strips
4 Inch Piece Ginger, peeled and finely minced
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
3 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar, I use Marukan Seasoned Gourmet Rice Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 Bunch Cilantro, chopped

Heat oil over high heat in wok or heavy bottomed frying pan until almost smoking. Add chicken and cook until almost cooked through, 3-4 minutes, next add onions garlic and ginger and cook until onions just start to wilt, about 3 minutes more, then add mushrooms and cook until tender. Add all other ingredients and stir to combine, continue to cook until sauce comes to a boil and thickens slightly, a few more minutes. Add a handful of chopped cilantro and serve over a bed of rice with a sprinkling of cilantro over top of entire dish.

No comments: