Thursday, October 4, 2007

Mulled Red Wine


This is my favorite winter drink and it seems I always have some in the fridge to heat up in case of emergency. I made this a couple days ago and now all I want to do is drink, not a good idea. It was so stinking cold yesterday that I did have a nice big mug of this with lunch, I made a yummy beef stew, but I will post that later, and by the time lunch was over I was nice and warm and in such a better mood.

Mulled Red Wine

1 Large Bottle Carlo Rossi Burgundy Wine 4 Litre (I know, high class here)
2 Cups Granulated Sugar
4 Cinnamon Sticks-broken into pieces
¼ Cup Whole Cloves
2 Tablespoons Whole Allspice Berries
1 Cup Raisins-Chopped
1 Cup Water

Add all ingredients except the wine to a large stock pot, bring to a boil and continue to boil for 10 minutes, should be very fragrant.
Add the wine and bring cook until very hot, but not boiling, serve and enjoy. You can add a splash of brandy if you need a little extra kick. Also, if you have leftovers, which you probably will considering this makes a gallon of wine, strain out the spices and you can re-use the jug the wine originally came in. This is also very good served cold.

No comments: