Saturday, April 11, 2009

Barbecue Pork Ribs

I don’t think there is anything better that a really good barbeque. I was craving pork ribs the other day so I invited some friends over and made them for dinner (not my friends, the pork ribs). I have tried doing a long indirect-heat grilling before but the meat tends to get a little too dry, so I decided to experiment cooking them in the oven and finishing them off on the grill so they would pick up a nice crust and smoky flavor…well they turned out perfect. The ribs were very moist and tender and the crunchy crust was absolutely wonderful. You can serve them like this or put a bowl of barbecue sauce on the table for people to add on their own.
I served this with a big pan of cornbread, my favorite pasta salad, white wine sangria, and a delicious lemon cake for dessert (I'll be posting that recipe very soon). I think I gained about 10 pounds during this meal, but it was definitely worth it. Oh, don’t forget the roll of paper towels at the table, these things are messy!

Barbecue Pork Ribs

2 Full Racks Pork Spare Ribs
2/3 Cup Chili Powder
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
4 Tablespoons Salt
4 Tablespoons Pepper
2 Teaspoons Cayenne Pepper

Pre heat your oven to 275 degrees and adjust the racks so there is one towards the bottom and one rack in the middle of your oven. Place each rack of ribs on a separate baking sheet and remove the tough clear membrane from the back of the ribs using a butter knife (it is really stuck on there so it takes a bit of muscle).
To make the dry rub, combine all spices. Heavily coat the ribs on both sides with the dry rub, you should use all of this mixture, it will completely cover the meat.
Cover the ribs lightly with aluminum foil and place in the oven, one baking sheet on each rack. Bake for 3 hours, turning the ribs over and switching racks every 30 minutes.
Next pre-heat your grill to a medium heat, or let your charcoal briquettes burn for about 45 minutes if using a charcoal grill. Place the ribs on the grill and continue to cook for about 15 minutes on each side until the coating gets a little charred and crispy. Remove ribs from grill and place back on a baking sheet and cover tightly with foil, let rest for 10 minutes. Now cut into single ribs and serve!





3 comments:

Jan said...

I'm so relieved to hear that you didn't BBQ your friends, you've got to watch out for those pesky misplaced modifiers. :-)

I love BBQ'd ribs, but am too much of a cheapskate to buy them very often. These look mouthwateringly good.

Pam said...

Why didn't you invite me over for ribs? ;) They look fantastic - I am sure they smelled amazing while cooking.

Unknown said...

These look like the exact way I like ribs: crispy on the outside and slightly charred to give extra flavor. These must have been delicious. I have a short rack in the freezer and I will try your recipe when I do them.