Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Honey Mustard Glazed Ham


I think ham is one of my favorite treats. I don’t make it very often, but when I do I am in hog heaven! I got this recipe from my friend Doug and have never enjoyed a juicier and more delicious ham in my life. Everyone at my birthday party agreed and wanted left-over’s to take home with them, being my birthday and all I felt completely confident in saying NO without even the slightest guilt in my consciousness.
This recipe is super easy and takes hardly any prep time.

Honey Mustard Glazed Ham

1 Large Smoked Ham, with bone in.
1 Cup Honey Dijon Mustard
1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
1 Liter Ginger Ale

Trim any excess fat and any skin off ham, you will want to leave about 1/4 inch of fat to keep the ham tender. Score surface of ham with a sharp knife into ¾” diamonds. Mix honey dijon mustard and dark brown sugar in small bowl. Place ham into large baking dish and completely cover with mustard/ sugar glaze, pour remaining glaze over the top of the ham. Pour 1 inch of ginger ale into the pan. Cover ham with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Remove foil, baste ham with pan sauce and continue cooking for about 2-3 hours more, while basting with pan sauce every 20 minutes, adding ginger ale as needed to keep liquid at 1 inch. Cook until ham reaches 160 degrees. Remove ham from oven, cover with foil and let rest 10 minutes before serving. Place on large platter and serve. If you would like a sauce to serve with the ham, pour pan juices into saucepan and reduce by half and serve.

No comments: