Sunday, November 9, 2008

Hamburger Casserole

I have been a little under the weather this week and just couldn’t make it to the store to get groceries to make dinner the other night, so I took a trip trough the pantry and the freezer and came up with this recipe. My friend Tina used to make this for me when I lived in Boise many years ago and I always enjoyed how simple and flavorful it was, so I thought it would be the perfect recipe for me while I was not feeling well, but still ravenously hungry. I don’t make many casseroles, but always enjoy them when I do because they are so easy and flavorful, I secretly think that the fifties house wives were much smarter than we are now because of their easy all-inclusive casserole recipes. Thanks Tina for this delicious and easy recipe!

Hamburger Casserole

12 Ounces Pasta, penne or egg noodles work the best
1 Pound Ground Beef
1 Small Yellow Onion, chopped
8 Ounces Cream Cheese
3 Tablespoons Sour Cream
1 15 Ounce Can Tomato Sauce
1 Teaspoon Salt & Pepper
1 Cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded

Cook pasta until almost al dente, drain and reserve. In a large skillet cook the hamburger and onion together until the hamburger is browned, then drain. Next mix together the pasta, ground beef & onion mixture, cream cheese, sour cream, tomato sauce, and salt & pepper until well combined. Place mixture into a medium sized casserole dish and sprinkle the top with the grated cheddar cheese. Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes until bubbling and top is golden brown, let rest for a few minutes and serve.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for a well-stocked pantry! I've often said I could eat for a month on what I have in the pantry, fridge and freezer. I'd get bored pretty quickly, but I could eat...

Pam said...

Yum. This looks tasty and comforting - especially if you don't feel well.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Jan said...

I'm sorry you're not feeling well, though I bet that casserole set you to rights.

I have a similar recipe to this, but without the cream cheese, I'm sure it was delish.