Saturday, June 21, 2008

Thai Beef & Asparagus Stir Fry



I came across the most delicious recipe from Darlene on her food blog Blazing Hot Wok and had to try it out. I was immediately in love with this dish. It is so simple to make and super quick too! The sauce has the perfect balance of flavor, sweet, tangy, spicy and the beef and the Asparagus together is pure heaven! I will be putting this recipe in my permanent favorites collection.
Also, she talked about using a cast iron wok, which I had never seen and I ended up picking one up at my local grocery store! I love using cast iron for cooking, and using a cast iron wok was pure heaven, it got hot enough to truly sear everything immediately and stayed screaming hot the entire time! I must admit that my All Clad wok is getting retired for my new $20 wok! Thanks for the recipe and cookware info Darlene!

Thai Beef & Asparagus Stir Fry

1 Pound Beef Chuck Steak, sliced thin
1 Tablespoon Chinese Cooking Wine or Dry Sherry
1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
3 Cloves Garlic, roughly minced
1 Bunch Asparagus, cut into 2 inch pieces
2 Tablespoons Naam Pridk Phao (chili sauce)
2 Tablespoons Thin Soy Sauce, or regular is fine also
2 Tablespoons Oyster Sauce

In a small bowl, combine the beef, cornstarch and cooking wine. Combine well and set aside.
In another small bowl, make the sauce by combining the naam prik pao, soy sauce and oyster sauce. Mix well to combine ingredients, set aside until needed.
Make sure you have all your ingredients very close because the stir fry goes very quickly. Also, have a small dish of water available as well just in case you need to thin the sauce a bit.
Heat your wok over high heat until very hot. Add 2 tablespoons vegetable or grape seed oil, then the beef followed by the garlic. If your wok is hot enough, your beef will cook very quickly. When the beef is seared, but not cooked through, about 30 seconds or so add the asparagus. Cook for another minute. Add the sauce. It should caramelize very quickly because of the high sugar content. If it gets too thick add a little water. Serve with rice or on its own.

3 comments:

dp said...

Looks great! I'm so glad you liked it. And now you've got me craving it again!

See, what did I tell you?? Once you go cast iron you never go back :-)

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Both cast iron and carbon steel woks are great. All Clad looks beautiful, but really doesn't perform for great high-heat cooking.

Pam said...

Hello fellow Portland foodie... This looks really delicious. Nice job.