Saturday, November 24, 2007

Apple Crisp




This is my friend Doug’s recipe. I love his apple crisp because there is a ton of topping, which of course is my favorite part. He always serves this with a really good vanilla bean ice cream.

Apple Crisp

10 Granny Smith Apples
2 Cups Flour
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Cup Brown Sugar
½ Cup Oats
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Stick Butter Chilled, plus 4 Tablespoons

Peel, core and slice apples ¼ inch thick and place in 9x12” baking pan.
For topping, combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Cut stick of butter into cubes and mix into dry ingredients with fork or hands until dough forms into pea sized pieces. Spread topping over apples, and dot top with reserved 4 Tablespoons butter.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, or until apples are cooked and topping is golden.

3 comments:

Feline Flodin said...

Is this a common dessert in America? In Sweden, it's a classic. :)

Jason said...

It is a very common dessert here, but usually served in the fall during harvest time.

NJenn said...

Do you have an apple crisp recipe that doesn't need an oven. I don't have an oven in my house, we only have oven toaster and a microwave. I sure love to try an apple crisp cause I think it's easy to prepare (without the oven part).