Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Thai Green Curry Paste


I was craving something totally different for dinner the other night and got inspiration from my Indian Curry cookbook. I wasn't in the mood for Indian though, so I thought why not try to make a Thai Green Curry? It was much easier that I thought it would be and turned out very yummy! I just hopped into the car and headed to the Asian market and they had everything I needed for the curry paste.
I ended up using the curry in a coconut and shrimp curry recipe (which I will share in a few days), and it turned out so good...not too spicy, but it still had a bit of a kick, and the flavors were divine! This recipe is from the Food Network, one of Tyler Florence recipes.

Thai Green Curry Paste

2 Tablespoons Coriander Seeds
1 Tablespoon Cumin Seeds
1 Tablespoon Whole Black Peppercorns
8 Fresh Thai Green Chiles
2 Shallots, Coarsely Chopped
4 Garlic Cloves, smashed
Small Handful Fresh Cilantro
2-Inch Piece Galangal, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 Lemon Grass Stalks, white part only, coarsely chopped
Zest 1 Small Lemon
2 Teaspoons Dried Shrimp Paste
1/2 Cup Water

Heat the coriander, cumin seeds, and peppercorns in a small dry skillt for 2 minutes until fragrant. Put the seeds in a clean coffee grinder or spice mill and process the spices until they form a powder.
Put the spice blend and all remaining ingredients in a food processor, and pulse to combine. Pour in the water to help grind everything down into a paste.

7 comments:

Pam said...

I've never made my own curry paste - this sounds tasty.

Sook said...

Green curry is my favorite type of curry ever! So I'm glad to have found this curry paste recipe. :) Love your blog!

Dinners and Dreams said...

I order green curry evrytime I go to a Thai restaurant. I have yet to make it at home.

Nisrine

Anonymous said...

hi Jason, very good! now here i show how to take this curry paste and cook it into tasty authentic Thai curry dish:

http://www.thaifoodmaster.com/recipes/main_dish_recipes/267

chhers

FreyaBlount said...

this sounds lovely, please follow to see a very similar paste used in a curry - http://confessionsofacook-aholic.blogspot.com/

thanks

a frog in the cottage said...

what a beautiful & easy recipe !! thanls for sharing...

les 2 gourmands said...

this is exactly what we love !!!