Friday, August 21, 2009

Easy Roast Chicken


I think it's quite funny that I have been writing a food blog for two years, cooking for 20 and never in my life have I roasted a whole chicken! I have made a couple versions of roasted Cornish hens, I've whipped up a ton of Thanksgiving Turkeys, and I've made MANY chicken recipes, just never the basic roast chicken. I knew it was easy to roast a chicken, I mean seriously, how much different is it than roasting a turkey, or a chicken breast? I wanted simple, flavorful crispy skin, and decided to use very basic ingredients. It turned out moist, tender, and made the house smell absolutely delicious!

Easy Roast Chicken

1 Chicken
1 Tablespoon Dried Thyme
1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
Kosher Salt
Pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Clean chicken thoroughly removing all innards, wash and pat dry with paper towels. Generously salt and pepper the cavity of the bird, then tie legs together with kitchen twine and fold wing tips underneath the bird. Next drizzle outside of bird with olive oil to coat, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and herbs. Place bird on a roasting or wire rack rack on a foil lined baking sheet (makes clean up so much easier!). Roast chicken in a pre-heated 375 degree oven until liquids run clear, and a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees, about 45 minutes. Tent with foil and let rest 10 minutes for the juices to go back into the bird. Slice meat and serve, bon appetite!

4 comments:

Pam said...

There is nothing more comforting than a roasted chicken - it looks really tasty Jason.

Anonymous said...

A great roast chicken is hard to achieve. It seems so simple, but it isn't!

Karine said...

Roast chicken is so delicious but sometimes it is easily forgettabl. Thank for sharing your recipe, your roast chicken looks delicious!

Jan said...

I can't believe you make all these fab things and this is your first roast chicken! Anyway, you did good, it looks perfectly delectable.